Environmental Staff Scientist
Location: Allison Park, PA
Employment Type: Full time
CORE is a professional environmental consulting firm specializing in:
- Site Characterization and Soil and Groundwater Remediation
- Remediation System Design and Installation and Operation & Maintenance
- Environmental Due Diligence (Phase I & Phase II Environmental Site Assessments)
- Environmental Permitting and Permit Compliance Assistance
- Compliance Audit Services
- The Environmental Staff Scientist position is a mid-level technical position (3-5 years’ experience) which is responsible for completing technical reports required under the Pennsylvania Land Recycling Program and Pennsylvania Chapter 245 Regulations along with performing Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments.
- Prepare complete environmental plans and reports, including Remedial Action Progress Reports (RAPRs), Remedial Action Completion Reports (RACRs), Site Characterization Reports (SCRs), and Remedial Action Plans (RAPs) under the PA Land Recycling (Chapter 250) and Storage Tank Corrective Action Process (Chapter 245) Regulations.
- Prepare Human Health Risk Assessments and perform Vapor Intrusion Evaluations in accordance with Chapter 250 Regulations and PA Technical Guidance Manual.
- Prepare Fate and Transport Analysis in accordance with Chapter 250 Regulations.
- Prepare work plans for site characterizations, due diligence environmental site assessments and remediation activities.
- Perform quality control review of data, technical reports and work plans.
- Perform Transaction Screen Analysis and Phase I/Phase II Environmental Site Assessments following ASTM standards.
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets and proposals.
- Assist senior staff in tracking of project budgets.
- Assist as needed with all phases of site characterization and remediation activities at leaking petroleum underground storage tank (UST), dry cleaner, and industrial sites (may include limited field work).
- Assist with the preparation of compliance reports for industrial and manufacturing clients such as PADEP Form 26Rs, EPA Form R’s, Discharge Monitoring Reports, and SARA Tier II Reports.
Education/ Certification Requirements:
- Desired Education: 4-year degree in Environmental Science, Geology, or similar field of study.
- 40-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training with up to date 8-hour refresher preferred.
- 3 to 5 years total experience within the environmental industry:
- 2-3 years of experience in an environmental technician or similar role performing activities such as soil, soil vapor, and groundwater sampling as well as experience in monitoring well installation.
- Experience preparing environmental plans and reports, including RAPRs, RACRs, SCRs, and RAPs under the PA Land Recycling and Chapter 245 Regulations is preferred.
- Experience in AutoCAD preferred.
- Working knowledge of Pennsylvania Chapter 245 and 250 regulations and ASTM E1527.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Communication skills applicable to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of basic computing programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Problem solving/analysis.
- Ability to interact with clients, regulatory agencies, and subcontractors in a professional manner.
- Ability to coordinate work on multiple projects and meet project schedules and deliverables.
- Environmental field technician skills.
- This job operates in a professional office environment using standard office equipment.
- CORE’s typical office hours are 8-5 Monday through Friday (allowing 1 hour for lunch).
- Must be able to work outdoors year-round in varying weather conditions, although field work associated with this role is limited.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must pass background check and physical exam.
- Must have valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.